Dog on a bog (95% water)

dogbog1w

I went, with a dog, to Kirkconnel Flow for inspiration for World Wetlands Day. The National Nature reserve noticeboard had just one message. Yofi and I took note.

dogbog2wFrom the start, Yofi was not sure about this venture, following me closely and not leaving the path. Odd behaviour, for a young dog.

But going through healthy blaeberry bushes, we found something that interested us both. What is “N31” – a Peatland Action?

dogbog8

Yofi was uninterested by Sphagnum, though I was trying out a new Moss app.

dogbog3

We progressed towards a drain blocked as part of the peatland restoration programme.

dogbog4w

This open water harboured Feathery Bog-Moss:

dogbog6wYofi (who loves to swim) hung back: No go. No way.

I tried another path by the uncleared Scots pines, that were part of the plantation that almost destroyed Kirkconnel Flow). Yofi still was unimpressed.

A fallen tree made me very curious – but no dog followed me to the pool that had formed where it had stood.

 

dogbog10w

I meanwhile, found much to distract me.

dogbog9w

I wandered to the crater edge – more Feathery Bog-Moss.

dogbog11w

Yofi withdrew to a safe distance and kept an eye on me.

dogbog12w

I finally twigged, walking back to our starting point. Perhaps for a dog on a peat bog, the earth literally shakes? With all four feet on a quaking bog and a water level only just below the surface, she was certainly right to be very cautious.

dogbog7

Back at the carpark, I found myself compelled to conduct a litter pick.

dogbog13wAn empty bottle of Vimto. Fruit juices, I learnt, make up of 5% of its ingredients – so the other 95% is water.

Just like Kirkconnel Flow! The peat bog is a liquid lens of water and moss atop a foundation of glacial boulder clay. Long and well may it quake.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s